This year marks the 34th annual National Night Out sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch and local law enforcement.
National Night Out is a crime prevention event. Over 38.3 million people in more than 16,728 communities including Rochester, Olmsted County and SE Minnesota are expected to join forces on Tuesday, August 1, 2017 to promote police-community partnerships, crime and drug prevention awareness, safety and neighborhood unity.
National Night Out is designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime efforts
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships
- Send a message to criminals letting them know neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
Rochester has a very active ongoing neighborhood watch program registered with the Rochester Police Department's Crime Interdiction Unit. Last year over 70% of the City of Rochester attended National Night Out events.
Planning Your National Night Out Event
- Talk to your neighbors about having a National Night Out Event
- Decide what type of event you would like to have: a potluck, ice cream social, dessert potluck, BBQ competition, cookie exchange, sundae making party, root beer floats ...
- Send out the invitations to neighbors
- Send in your registration to the police department by registering online
- Pick up decorations and plates, napkins, and plastic ware
- Plan games for the kids (get donations for prizes)
- Plan music or entertainment
- Get the necessary permits for noise and closing a street by calling 507-328-6890
- Apply for a neighborhood sponsorship from Custom Alarm by clicking here!
Safety on the Night of National Night Out
- Lock your doors of your home and vehicles when you leave for the event
- Turn your outdoor lights on when you leave for the event
- Leave all valuable at home in a secure location
- Supervise all children's activities, so no one gets hurt
- Practice safety if you are grilling or having a campfire.
- Have someone act as a life guard if you plan a pool party
- Dress for the weather, be comfortable
- Have lots of fun –– and eat well too!
The whole purpose of National Night Out is to get to know your neighborhood and make police-community partnerships, so don't forget to register today!