It’s finally time to hit the road and enjoy a long break from work and home responsibilities! Before you leave, use this handy checklist to keep your home secure while you’re away. We even have a printable version for you to use alongside your packing list!
- Stop or forward your mail, newspaper, and other deliveries. An overflowing mailbox is a sure sign of an empty house.
- Arrange for someone to take care of your pets.
- Move your plants and arrange for someone to water them.
- Whether summer or winter, your property will probably need maintenance. Arrange for someone to mow and water your grass, shovel your driveway, or do other lawn care while you’re away.
- Don’t hide things! Burglars are sneaky, and will find that key under your mat or that envelope of cash in the side drawer. If it’s valuable to you, lock it up.
- Park your vehicles in the garage. Unmoved cars can signal to thieves that no one’s home.
- Keep everyone informed. Give your itinerary and contact information to trustworthy friends and neighbors. If you’re having someone enter your home while you’re gone, make sure to give their name to the neighbors.
- If you’re headed overseas, make sure to call your credit card company. Otherwise, they could freeze your account due to unusual frequent spending in foreign places.
- Pull down your window shades. It’s simple, but it can really keep snoops from seeing inside your home.
- Set timers for your lights. Homes that seem to be occupied are much more secure than dark, empty ones.
- Let your security company know that you’re leaving.
By checking off the tasks on this list, you can leave for your vacation with peace of mind.
Want this list printed out? Download Your Printable Checklist Here!